By a huge margin the readers who voted in the poll last week want to see the SS Admiral remain on the St. Louis Riverfront:
Q: The SS Admiral’s days on the river may be numbered with the closing of the casino next month. Which best describes your view?
- The Admiral is a key part of the riverfront, I’d like to see it retained somehow. 79 [62.2%]
- The Admirals’ day is past, it should be removed from the riverfront. 36 [28.35%]
- Unsure/no opinion. 6 [4.72%]
- Other answer… 6 [4.72%]
Clearly though a large group is ready to let it go.Â The following were the six “other” answers:
- I’d like to see it retained as, say, a museum for St. Louis&
- It’s not “key” to the riverfront – but it seems like an opportuni
- glad to see a casino go but would like the iconic boat to stay
- It’s structure is in poor condition and should be removed for safety reason
- Dry-dock it somewhere in the city as a restaurant/entertainment complex
- Turn it into a floating hotel, restaurant or possibly a floating movie theater.
I personally would like to see the boat remain.Â I’ve never stepped foot onto the boat so I have no sentimental attachment to the former riverboat turned fixed casino.Â It has always brought a smile to my face.Â Now hidden behind casino entrance, the design brings a smile to my face.Â But how do we save it?
– Steve Patterson