Poll: What should St. Louis Treasurer Tishaura Jones do with the site of the former Cupples 7 Warehouse?
The wrecking contractor is finishing up the demolition of the Cupples 7 warehouse at 1014 Spruce St, just west of Busch Stadium so now’s a good time to figure out the next step(s). For those new to this issue here’s a recap:
- The Cupples Warehouse district is very historic, listed on the National Register of Historic Places (see nomination).
- Various past attempts to raze most or all failed. The other remaining warehouses have all been rehabbed for new uses.
- Private owners allowed a small hole in the roof of Cupples 7 to grow into a gigantic hole over the last 10-15 years, causing the wood interior floors to collapse.
- The previous St. Louis Treasurer, Larry Williams, agreed to buy the note from the bank if the city issued a demotion permit.
- A few years ago the city closed off adjacent streets out of fear the building would collapse.
- The city said the building must come down, the risk of collapse was too great.
- New Treasurer Tishaura Jones bought the note and began the demolition required by the city.
The eastern half of the building is basically gone, just rubble. The western half, however, remains. It too has internal issues but not to the degree the eastern half did.
The poll question this week asks “What should St. Louis Treasurer Tishaura Jones do with the site of the former Cupples 7 Warehouse?” You’ll be able to pick up to 3 answers which range from paving the site for parking to stopping demolition on the western half.
I know what I want her to do but I’ll save that for the post presenting the results on Wednesday August 28th. You can vote in the right sidebar and share your thoughts in the comments below.
– Steve Patterson