No majority winner in the poll last week but clearly readers don’t want a typical auto-centric Walmart:
Q: Would You Support Or Oppose Walmart Express Stores In The City Of St. Louis?
- Oppose, Walmart is a horrible company 66 [41.77%]
- Support, with good design regulations 59 [37.34%]
- Support, competition is good 23 [14.56%]
- Neutral 4 [2.53%]
- Unsure/No Opinion 3 [1.9%]
- Other: 3 [1.9%]
The three “other” answers were:
- Oppose. Letting them in would likely open Pandora’s big-box.
- Not any worse than Family Dollar
- I’d have to see one first
The problem is so many of our elected officials like new construction, they add the cost to their tally to brag about investment they attracted. Some do get that we need an overhaul of our regulations to force retailers to use their connected urban prototypes rather than doing the least they have to. These retailers have saturated suburban markets and need new locations to grow.
We can demand better from them!
– Steve Patterson